Use of LABSA/ Acid Slurry in a detergent manufacturing plant
Synthetic detergents developed in the early 20th century and replaced washing compounds – soaps made traditionally from oils, fats and caustic soda. As soaps possess lesser washing characteristics in hard water than synthetic detergents, synthetic washing compounds have captured a significant market today.
The word detergent originated from the Latin word detergine -.to wipe off. It is applied to all synthetic washing compounds. Synthetic detergents are not only used as cleaning materials but also have multiple industrial applications.
Acid Slurry (Linear ALKYL Benzene Sulphonate)
Acid Slurry is the local trade name for LABSA. Acid slurry or alkyl benzene sulphonate is prepared by the sulphonation of Linear Alkyl Benzene (LAB) with a suitable sulphonating agent. Acid slurry, is extensively used for the manufacture of detergent powder and washing soap. It is prepared by the sulphonation of LAB with sulphuric acid/ SO3 gas.
LABSA refers to linear alkyl benzene sulphonic acid. It is a highly active matter that is readily miscible with water and contains a low salt content. It is also widely used in many formulations. All over the world, various companies are engaged in the manufacturing and distribution of LABSA at a global scale, with first-rate manufacturing quality standards and the ability to deliver on different demands from various types of clients.
There are two processes for the manufacture of acid slurry – continuous and batch. Acid slurry is widely used in the manufacture of synthetic washing detergent powders, cakes, and liquids. It is commonly used in the detergent industry as it is highly cost-effective and delivers remarkable performance. It is environment-friendly because of its biodegradable nature.
Linear alkyl benzene sulphonic acid is acquired through the process of reacting SO3 with linear alkyl benzene under certain precisely controlled conditions of temperatures and a certain concentration of reactants. During the manufacturing processes, they engage the use of state of the art technology and the employment of the latest engineering methodologies to ensure superior quality standards in the delivery of products.
Synthetic detergents, being a mass consumption product, have registered a dramatic growth. Presently, detergents are available in the form of powders, cakes, and bars. The liquid detergent industry wants thick viscous liquids with yellow to dark brownish colours. The bulk of the production of these items is done in the small-scale sector.
● It is a major industrial surfactant used in the formulations of various types of household and industrial detergents. All domestic detergent powders, cakes, liquids, household cleaners, cleaning powders are made from it. It is called the workhorse of the detergents industry. Nowadays, the detergent industry is totally dependent on this surfactant
● It is also used as an emulsifier in agricultural pesticides and herbicides
● It finds applications in textiles as washing and mercerizing aid
● It is used in paints as wetting and dispersing agent
● It is also used in the manufacturing of textile auxiliaries
● Manufacture various grades formulated for specific end uses.
● The top grade is of 96% strength and is a very light coloured product, suitable for white and coloured detergent powders and liquids. It also provides brilliance to coloured detergent powders, liquids, and cakes.
● Lower grades of Acid Slurry are formulated for use in liquid detergents as per customer’s requirements based on quality, price, and colour of liquid detergents.